Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Play-Doh Valentines with Printable Labels

I love Valentine's Day.
Not the cheesy cards or the really expensive roses...but the fact that we have a whole day just to celebrate love! I remember Valentine's Day as a kid being so much fun, especially all the great goodies that we got during our class Valentine's Day party. The first few years that my boys were little, I would pick up a box of generic Valentines and let them give them to a few of their friends. But I soon realized that you could do so much more for Valentine's Day if you think outside the box! Last year I turned some clearance Tootsie Roll banks into a Sweet and Simple Valentine Favor. They turned out really cute, so this year the bar was set kind of high! I started thinking of  Valentine's ideas as soon as the Christmas decorations came down. I toyed with a few different ideas and ended up going with this cute Play-Doh Valentine after I found the 24 pack on sale last week:)
 I picked up two boxes {one for Henry's class and one for Grant's class} of regular sized Play-Doh at Target on sale for $12.99 each. When you do the math the cans of Play-Doh end up only costing a little over 50 cents each. You could also try this with the smaller party sized cans of Play-Doh, but they weren't really much cheaper than the regular sized ones. I created a fun circle label {just the right size for the regular sized Play-Doh lid} that said "Doh" you want to be my Valentine? using a tutorial I found on pinterest. 

{Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at sharing a printable and I'm not really sure what I am doing.}
Just right click on the image below and save it to your computer. Open it up in any editing software and add your kiddos name beside each of the hearts. You could also let them write their name in if you didn't want to edit it. Test print one on a sheet of regular paper first to make sure the circle are the right size for your paper cutter and the Play-Doh lids, then you simple print out as many copies as you need onto sticker paper. The page is formatted to print out on a regular 8.5 X 11 piece of paper. On my computer I have to select fit to printable area to make sure the circles are just the right size.
{A couple of readers have emailed me saying they can't get the printable to work just right when they right click and save. If you are having trouble with it send me an email  & I can send you a copy, contact me at kellibwilson (at) gmail (dot) com.}


Once you get your labels printed, use a 2 inch circle cutter to cut them out.
 Peel off the back of the stickers and place them on the lids of your Play-Doh.
 Then stack them up a take a ton of pictures because they turned out so cute! 
You could also dress them up a little more by adding some pretty ribbon or tulle...but I figured my boys would be happier without the added decoration! 
This really is a fun Valentine to give, and it worked out  perfect that there are 24 cans of Play-Doh in a box and both of my boys have 24 kids in their class. The fun part of the big box of Play-Doh is that their are ton of different colors so the boys can go home with a can of blue or green and the girls can have all the pink ones:)


Linking up here..
Tatertots and Jello
Serenity Now
Decor Chic
Someday Crafts
Skip to my Lou

Pin It!

38 comments:

Kmama said...

How cute! I think that's a great idea. I might have to try it. Of course, I'd need to go out and buy a circle cutter...and some sticker paper. ;-)

KTW said...

Well thank you for taking care of my Valentine dilemma! :) Our schools have vetoed any sort of edible Valentines and we've always done something that involves food. I LOVE THIS IDEA! :)

Miller Racing Family said...

What a fabulous idea. It is hard to find creative homemade valentine ideas for boys. I will have to show Trey and we will let the crafting begin. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very crafty and unique! Thanks for sharing the printables. It's always nice to a have a different option for Valentine's day.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That's such a cute idea!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

Both of my kids love Play Doh..this is a really cute idea & your printable makes it even cuter :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Super cute, Kelli!!! My girls would love to do this. :) Great job on your printable. I need to try that out with a recipe!

Carrie said...

that is a FUN idea! The kids will love getting those! And what an easy cute printable! Alex and Emily want to do the sucker Valentine's again this year where it looks like they are holding the suckers :-) I want to do this for Ellie! ;-)

Kelli said...

This is awesome (do I always say that...well it's because you're always awesome!). I love that it is simple but something that kids would really enjoy. It's going to be a hit.

Ekta said...

WOW! A simple, cute V-day idea. Thanks for sharing. I am def using this for my 3 yr old's pre-school class.

g*rated said...

these are super cute, and easy! :)

Myya said...

Perfect idea! What kid doesn't live play doh!! I'm doing a cute pencil & heart notepad. Not too exciting but my daughter likes the idea :)

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

This is ridiculously cute!

Unknown said...

LOVE these! I've been looking for some kind of 'healthy' Valentines for school this year. This is it!! Thanks for sharing!

Anna San said...

I think these are sooo great, thanks for sharing!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That is so cute :)

Visiting from Serenity Now!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

This is so cute! I have been searching to a candy alternative and this is perfect.

Sarah AJ said...

What a great idea! I think this would be perfect for my daughter's class. Thanks!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing the labels.

cheapcraftymama said...

What a cute idea! I would love for you to share this at my Valentines Party @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Too cute!! I hope you will link up this post to my I Heart Projects Party.

http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/01/i-heart-projects-linky-party.html

Foursons said...

Very cute idea that I could actually do! But, my boys are handing out Angry Bird valentines. :)

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

So cute! I like that the kids are getting playdoh instead of all that candy. I download the printable. Thanks for sharing it.

Patti said...

Thanks for the printable. I also picked picked up the play-doh at that great price but was unsure if it would turn into a birthday gift or something else.... Thanks to you you I found my "Something else".

I hope you have a Very Blessed day.

Six Sisters said...

This is ADORABLE! Such a fun idea. We would love to have you come share this at our weekly link party every Saturday! -The Sisters

http://sixsistersstuff.com

Meredith said...

Hi! I love this idea and am making them for my youngest daughter's Valentine's but when I saved and printed the image it was fuzzy, not super clear so I wanted to ask if any chance you were willing to just attach it in an email to me? Hopefully that might help, I am so excited to make these. My email is mere@jklobo.com

Thanks!

Sarah said...

This idea is genius! And so cute!

I featured this on my blog today, come check it out:

http://craftingandcreativity.blogspot.com/2012/02/things-i-like-thursday-23.html

:) Sarah @ Crafting and Creativity

Lindsi B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

This is such a fun idea!! I featured you on my blog today, stop by & grab a button!

http://artsyfartsymama.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-21.html

Nylesor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kathyw said...

HI-
This such a SUPER cute idea!! I am having the same problem as other's as that when I print it out it's super grainy. Any chance you would email it to me as well? I love this idea, my boys are excited to do it and of course I waited until the day before the big day to print them out. Thanks so much for sharing!!

kathyw said...

Oops--forgot to leave my email address: kathy.wieland@yahoo.com
Thank you!!

Veronica Hugger said...

so stinkin' cute! wish my DS wasn't 14 years old!

Project: Party Perfect said...

Thank-you for sharing your adorable printables! I shared this on my recent blot post...hope you check it out! http://www.projectpartyperfect.blogspot.com/2013/02/doh-you-want-to-be-my-valentine.html

Project: Party Perfect said...

Thank you for sharing your adorable printables! I shared this on my recent blog post...hope you check it out!

Mrs.MommyLowe said...

This is adorable. This last minute Mommy would love to have the printable. ajalynn78@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!!

LessonPlans-CraftGossip said...

So Cute!! Gave your craft a little shout out on Craft Gossip!! Happy Valentines Day!

http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=7648

Unknown said...

Hi! This idea is awesome! I am editing your labels now with my son's name.

I have a question, so I emailed you. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...